An automatic data visualization plugin for the Datasette ecosystem. See your dataset from multiple views with an easy-to-use, customizable menu-based interface.
Try the live demo
Running Datasette with the Happy Planet Index dataset
Install this plugin in the same Python environment as Datasette.
datasette install datasette-nteract-data-explorer
- Click "View in Data Explorer" to expand the visualization panel
- Click the icons on the right side to change the visualization type.
- Use the menus underneath the graphing area to configure your graph (e.g. change which columns to graph, colors to use, etc)
- Use "advanced settings" mode to override the inferred column types. For example, you may want to treat a number as a "string" to be able to use it as a category.
- See a live demo of the original Nteract data-explorer component used in isolation.
You can run a minimal demo after the installation step
datasette -i demo/happy_planet_index.db
If you're interested in improving the demo site, you can run a copy of the site the extra metadata/plugins used in the published demo.
Thank you for reading this far! If you use the Data Explorer in your own site and would like others to find it, you can mention it here.
See contributing docs.
- The Data Explorer was designed by Elijah Meeks. I co-maintain this project as part of the Nteract open-source team. You can read about the design behind this tool here
- The data model is based on the Frictionless Data Spec.
- This plugin was bootstrapped by Simon Willison's Datasette plugin template
- Demo dataset from the Happy Planet Index was cleaned by Doris Lee. This dataset was chosen because of its global appeal, modest size, and variety in column datatypes (numbers, low cardinality and high cardinality strings, booleans).
- Hosting for the demo site is provided by Vercel.