These tutorials are intended to complement the official Datasette documentation by providing step-by-step guides to learning Datasette and the Datasette ecosystem tools.
- Exploring a database with Datasette shows how to use the Datasette web interface to explore a new database.
- Learn SQL with Datasette introduces SQL, and shows how to use that query language to ask questions of your data.
- Using Datasette in GitHub Codespaces shows how Datasette can be installed and used in free GitHub Codespaces browser-based development environments.
- Cleaning data with sqlite-utils and Datasette shows how to use
sqlite-utilsto clean data, import it into SQLite and then explore it with Datasette. Includes a ten minute accompanying video.
- Building a location to time zone API with SpatiaLite shows how to use SpatiaLite and Datasette to create an API for looking up time zones based on latitude/longitude points.
If you're looking for something longer:
- Data analysis with SQLite and Python is a 2hr45m tutorial presented at PyCon 2023. The full video and handout are available here.
- Analyzing ScotRail audio announcements with Datasette—from prototype to production talks through the full process of creating an initial rapid prototype using Datasette Lite, building a custom plugin for it, then launching a full Datasette instance using GitHub Actions for build and deployment automation and Vercel for hosting. It also shows how to build features using complex SQL queries stored as Datasette canned queries.
- Using a self-rewriting README powered by GitHub Actions to track TILs is another example showing how to use GitHub Actions to store content in a repository and then build and deploy it using Datasette, illustrated by the implementation of til.simonwillison.net.
Suggestions for more tutorials are welcome! Please share those on the Datasette Discord.